Tuesday, July 11, 2006

A Small Imposition

This will be my 200th post. Not exactly in the chronology of this blog, since I started this only in February 2005 and the posts dated prior to that were just my means to capture my thoughts since the beginning of my stay here in the Middle East.

Please forgive this small imposition of this short prayer written by Trappist monk and renowned mystic Thomas Merton - I'm not sure whether this is the original text or derived from it, since I got it second-hand from the La Salle Brothers. This prayer has always inspired me even in my darkest hours.

No matter how lost I may seem, He has made it possible for me to find Him and know the right way.

* * * * *

My Lord God, I have no idea of where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end.

Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following Your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.

But I believe that the desire to please You does in fact please You. And I hope that I have that desire in all that I am doing.

I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this, You will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it.

Therefore will I trust You always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for You are with me.

No comments: