Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Just Because It's Sweet

I'm posting an oldie from Manhattan Transfer - "Smile Again" (Music: Jay Graydon/David Foster/Bill Champlin, Words: Alan Paul). My eldest brother was an R&B fan (he got into Earth, Wind & Fire particularly) and he bought MT's "Mecca for Moderns" which features this cut. We also had the previous LP "Extensions" on cassette but I prefer "Mecca" more.

I just realized this song is 25 years old. I first heard it when I was 10 years old. Shoot, I'm getting old. I remember, back when I was a freshman in high school, answering one of those scrapbooks girls collect and the question asked was: What's your favorite song? Most of my classmates invariably answered a New Wave song after the other ("Melt With You" and "Blasphemous Rumours" topped the list) and guess what square old Moi answered?

You bet. This song. I also put in "Alone At Last" by Neil Sedaka, which was SOOOO WRONG. Neil frickin' Sedaka? R&B and jazz could make you a little more hip, as in older, more sophisticated, but Neil frickin' Sedaka? I bet the girl who owned that book would have ripped that page out for that comment alone, and it probably cost me one million pogi points, not that I had that amount to start with, anyhow. It's like hanging an "L" sign over my head, or better yet, spray-painting the word HOMO on my chest. Neil Sedaka indeed. Come to think of it, there were yet other comments I vaguely remember that give me cause for regret.

Back on track again. I'm puttting this on just because it's sweet, because it did, indeed, make me smile and chuckle again for by-gone times, and most especially, because of the hope that there would be a person that would make me sing this song wholeheartedly.

This song is for all those spending time away from their Significant Others tonight...

Endless nights I'd play solitaire
Imagining that you were here
One night flights -- such heartless affairs
They froze the hopes of love in me

You suddenly appeared
Melted all my fears
Filled me with the love I need

You make me smile again
Like a child of three
And I believe it will turn out right baby
Oh you make me smile again
Hold me in your arms
Oh love, my love

Heart to heart our souls intertwine
Make love and float away with me
Twins of flame a love so divine
I want to spend my life around you

Now, now I have the strength
Now I have the hopes
You give me all I need

To make me smile again
Like a child of three
And I believe it will work out right
Oh you make me smile again
Hold me in your arms
Oh love, my love

You make me smile again
Like a child of three
Oh I believe we'll live a dream for two
Oh you make me smile again
Hold me in your arms
Oh love, my love

No comments: