Monday, July 10, 2006

Aftermath

Just to show you that I can poke fun at myself, I'm offering some of the sappy songs of the Beatles from their early albums to show to what depths I could fall into if I were actually singing them (with feelings, natch!) ---

I'll Cry Instead - vocals by John Lennon - from "Help!"

I've got every reason on earth to be mad,
'cause I've just lost the only girl I had.
And if I could get my way,
I'd get myself locked up today,
But I can't so I cry instead.

I've got a chip on my shoulder that's bigger than my feet,
I can't talk to people that I meet.
And if I could see you now,
I'd try to make you sad somehow,
But I can't so I cry instead.

Don't want to cry when there's people there,
I get shy when they start to stare,
I'm gonna hide myself away, ay hay;
But I'll come back again someday.

And when I do you'd better hide all the girls,
I'm gonna break their hearts all 'round the world.
Yes, I'm gonna break them in two,
And show you what your loving man can do,
Until then I'll cry instead.

Don't want to cry when there's people there,
I get shy when they start to stare,
I'm gonna hide myself away, ay hay;
But I'll come back again someday.

And when I do you'd better hide all the girls,
'cause I'm gonna break their hearts all 'round the world.
Yes, I'm gonna break them in two,
And show you what your loving man can do,
Until then I'll cry instead.


I'm A Loser - vocals by John Lennon - from "Beatles for Sale"

I'm a loser
I'm a loser
And I'm not what I appear to be

Of all the love I have won or have lost
There is one love I should never have crossed
She was a girl in a million, my friend
I should have known she would win in the end


I'm a loser
And I lost someone who's near to me
I'm a loser
And I'm not what I appear to be

Although I laugh and I act like a clown
Beneath this mask I am wearing a frown
My tears are falling like rain from the sky
Is it for her or myself that I cry

I'm a loser
And I lost someone who's near to me
I'm a loser
And I'm not what I appear to be

What have I done to deserve such a fate
I realize I have left it too late
And so it's true, pride comes before a fall
I'm telling you so that you won't lose all

I'm a loser
And I lost someone who's near to me
I'm a loser
And I'm not what I appear to be



* * * * * *

Okay --- that's enough for now.

Italy kicks butt at the World Cup! Nice to see that adversity has allowed this squad to bloom. Anyhow, the squad was pretty much untouchable throughout the tournament, torching its group rivals before revving it up another notch in the semifinal against Germany. Yup, the Australians could have handed their lunches to them during the Round of 16, but luck --- and that pinch of anima --- carried the Azzurri through and they pretty much bitch-slapped Ukraine in the quarters.

I would have wanted Brazil to win its sixth World Cup --- I'm not much a fan of European football but what the Germans and the Italians brought was GREAT! I'm not a fan of the French, or the British with their constipated way of playing football. France, of course, were the superior team throughout the crossover stages, upending favored Spain in the Round of 16 and then surprising Brazil in the quarters with a 1-0 victory. How they could have had a major meltdown in the final after progressively growing stronger is inexplicable --- well, they did blow hot-and-cold in the group stage and barely qualified.

I'd like to salute the Germans for putting forth a well-organized, memorable Cup.


* * * * * *

Federer swats Nadal, then outlasts him at Wimbledon. I don't like Rafael Nadal. Correction: I dislike Rafael Nadal, his less-than-welcome pugnacity, his overblown panache. I do like his enthusiasm, his never-say-die attitude, and his relentlessness. These attributes are great for the sport. But never call him a master of anything so long as he only wins primarily on clay. Thomas Muster used to be like a machine on clay, and look what respect he got (to the point that Andre Agassi refused to recognize his No. 1 ranking). To his credit, Nadal is a quick learner on grass, and the rivalry with Federer looks to be more legit than the so-called rivalry between Federer and Andy Roddick (who, incidentally, falls out of the top 10).

I am a fan of chaps like Federer --- and along the same line, Tim Duncan, Pete Sampras, Bjorn Borg, Hakeem Olajuwon, Larry Bird, the oft-forgotten Marvin Hagler, Gabriel "Flash" Elorde, Paeng Nepomuceno, the little-recognized Miguel Indurain, and gulp! (jologs alert!) - Alvin Patrimonio. They bring their A-game most consistently, play with beautiful fundamentals, and let their games - not their agents or press handlers - do the talking.


* * * * * *

Miami win the NBA championship, and then some. This comment is late --- but I have to say it. You've got to hand it to Shaq - he promised a championship, and the Heat got one. Of course, it's all about Dwayne Wade, but without a legit low-post presence, the Heat couldn't have done it. As to Dallas, I tip my hat to Dirk Nowitzki, but he still has to prove he has the heart of a champion. Well, maybe next year. And please, Mark Cuban has to stop whining.

As to the negative karma of Pat Riley (finally --- he sheds all of the burdens he carried since he backstabbed the Knicks in 1995) and Alonzo Mourning (don't serve him up any pity, he had to earn this one really badly), they just had enough mojo to get through --- given that only Detroit was the only real competition.

However, Detroit was a step slower (mainly because Ben Wallace is in decline) and coach Flip Saunders just showed he's only great for the regular season but is a choker during the playoffs (pencil in Rick Adelman and Mike Dunleavy here too). That they released Wallace through free agency was a foregone conclusion. That the Chicago Bulls overpaid Wallace with $15 million a year for four years is also certain. Maybe with their moves, including dealing Tyson Chandler to the New Orleans Hornets for PJ Brown and JR Smith, could win them the title come next June. Or maybe not.

As to the West, I feel only Dallas and Phoenix can make major noise - Dallas mainly by fielding the same team minus (probably) deadweight like Keith Van Horn, et al, Phoenix because Amare Stoudemire is coming back. Who knows? They might face each other in the Conference finals. I still like San Antonio, but after losing both their centers in the offseason and still some iffiness in their guard line-up (no back-up for Tony Parker), questions remain. Hope they convince a veteran free agent to sign for less bucks like they did with Michael Finley.

Lakers? Come on! The guys to watch in L.A. are the Clippers. Here's to them dusting off their rivals and I hope this time they'll hold up long enough to finally undo all the bad karma and even worse decisions made by management that have plagued their organization.

These 2006 playoffs, I had them and the Spurs meeting in the West finals (even if the Mavs did hold a 3-1 cushion). I also had the Cavs winning the tiff with the Pistons, but it looks like Lebron James is not that good or experienced enough (besides, his supporting cast sucks) to lift his team over a tested team like the Pistons.

If the Celtics pull off a major trade and give Pierce a legitimate sidekick, I have them winning the Atlantic. I just love the Celts, so sue me. New Jersey is the wise pick though. The Sixers are washed-up, while Toronto may surprise with their new line-up. Forget the Knicks, are they still in the NBA?

In Central, it's going to be tough with Cleveland and Detroit banging it out for the lead. Intriguing dark horses would be Chicago and the new-look Milwaukee Bucks, who dumped TJ Ford for Charlie Villanueva. As to Indiana, maybe they will, maybe they won't finally come out with a sure-win team.

Down in the Southeast, Orlando, not Washington, would seem to be the threat to Miami's reign. Will Dwight Howard finally make the Big Leap and become a true superstar? Atlanta and Charlotte will fight out for the scraps. The blueprint for Charlotte looks well-thought out, they just need luck at the lottery and hopefully attract a good free agent when they could finally afford to splurge. Plus, they Michael Jordan at the helm; maybe his basketball brains would count for something despite his bombing-out with the Wizards.

Over at Southwest, Dallas-San Antonio is the top draw but this division is loaded. You've got the Grizzlies and the Rockets as legit threats and the Hornets almost made it to the playoffs last year. Despite the talent of McGrady and Yao, I think overall the Rockets team is poorly-constructed and what's worse, they have the wrong coach. Maybe Rick Adelman as coach could help, he did revive the Sacramento Kings back in the day...

As to the runt of the Western litter, the Northwest, it's a division that is Denver's to lose. Portland is rebuilding, Seattle is going nowhere, Minnesota is mired in mediocrity and Kevin Garnett's monster contract, and only Utah is the bright spot assuming the Jazz are injury-free.

The Pacific may be the emerging powerhouse with a revitalized Kings squad featuring Ron Artest pushing for space at the top against Phoenix and the Clippers. The Lakers may surprise; they do have Kobe (guaranteed 15 wins with him alone) and maybe with more guard help they'll win more games. The Warriors are terminal; let's forget about them.

Barring injuries and bad luck, I see a Miami-Cleveland face-off in the East. With the new playoff rules in place, I figure it would be Dallas-San Antonio, though it could very well be Phoenix or the Clippers who would take either one or both their places. Now THAT would be intriguing.

Can't call for a champion just as yet, though a Cleveland-LA Clippers NBA final series would be a DOOOOOOZZZZY! Imagine two franchises formerly consigned to obscurity finally reaching the top of the heap. (sidebar: I watched a classic game - the Christmas Day 1977 game of the Cavs and the then-Buffalo Braves. Only Walt Frazier and Cazzie Russell on the Cavs rung bells. No others -though Sven Nater and Randy Smith of the Braves brought some memories. What a game!)


* * * * * *

Yup, I'm recovered. George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire is great! Should have started my collection ages ago.

No comments: