Saturday, July 15, 2006

I Want to Be Happy...

in(s)ane ramblings: happy talk

The link that Nikki provides is fab --- I'd like to turn it around several times to see where the argument goes, but granted it's true ---

Saudi Arabia at 89? Over Denmark at 99?

Huh?

Well, don't know what they used as factors for the study but let me put it this way:
1) I sleep better when I'm living here
2) I watch my diet better too
3) I'm less likely to abuse my body
4) I get more meaningful exercise
5) I'm much more self-reliant

Shoot, yeah, malling and the night life in the Philippines are a different experience, you are spoiled for choice when it comes to women, and cable TV is much more value-added.

Apart from those?

Export my family and loved ones over here, and you can keep the Philippines all to yourselves.

Yup, you can never be too happy but you can definitely try. (and Niks, I totally empathize. The miles apart from someone you love can be SOOOOOOO frustrating and heart-wrenching. O.k., o.k., I put my foot in my mouth again!)

Some bits and pieces...

I'm midway through A Storm of Swords, the third installment to George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. The first two books (A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings) have been riveting enough ... I've been reading the series only one week or so and I can't wait for the next installments. The series doesn't have the grand scale of Robert Jordan's A Wheel of Time, but the writing is soooo much better and the characters are much more palpable. Speaking of Jordan, I haven't read Knife of Dreams yet. I can hold off my desire on this, I'd rather look for A Feast for Crows by Martin. Shame the last book in Ice & Fire is still being written...

Odds for a repeat for Miami are 5:1, about the same as the Spurs winning the championship. Mavs take first spot at 4:1. The Motor City Boys dropped from 5:1 to 7:1 after the Big Ben trade, and the Bulls moved up from 30:1 to 12:1 via same trade.

Want to make a pile of money on a real longshot? Put some money for the Knicks (150:1) to win the whole enchilada, and while you're at it, double the fun with the TrailBlazers (300:1)...

Isn't it interesting how so many people got into the Zidane headbutting issue? Now that's the World Cup for you. Sooner or later, we'll have peace conferences about behavior on the soccer pitch. Come on, give us a break! The guy behaved badly, his antagonist is less than forthcoming about what was said that caused the fracas, and sport is sport, no matter the trash-talking.

The French already lost the Cup, most probably because of Zidane's send-off (he could have given the French some more confidence in the penalties). I'm of a mind they should have awarded the Golden Ball to someone else as a matter of principle, and worse things have happened and people have hardly battered an eyelash. Let's move on! ...

Our satellite TV service got the E! Europe channel and I got to watch an episode of "Girls from the Playboy Mansion." As you can divine, watching TV over here has a reason to become pleasurable, hehe.

1 comment:

eveningdrive said...

Have Knife of Dreams. Ako pa, eh reading the series is a sickness with me. Nothing as earth shattering as Dumai's Wells or when Rand cleaned the taint, but hey, whatever works.