Sunday, April 02, 2006

Dirge

A kabayan who worked as a machine operator died last Friday morning. He apparently had a seizure and suffered cardiac arrest. He was thirty years old. On this contract, he was saving for his wedding, as he had been recently engaged and on his first available vacation he would have gotten married.

Details are sketchy, but one source says he died en route to the hospital. He and his friends were said to be drinking, and the people who were bringing him to the emergency room were fearful of being tested positive for alcohol. Had they been taken into custody, they would have received not only administrative charges from our Company and thus lose their jobs, they would also have received criminal charges since the official government line bans alcohol.

Not to mention, they might have been charged with criminal liability for the death of their colleague.

I'm assuming this story to be untrue. But it feels true. How can a young man, in the prime of his life, in sound physical health (his medical records when he left the Philippines showed excellent fitness), die of a cardiac arrest? Another Rico Yan story of pancreatitis (patently unbelievable)?

My heart needs to be flanged - it's hard to read my emotions on this. Pity, or disgust?

Very Ape (K. Cobain)
Nirvana

I am buried up to my neck in
Contradictionary flies
I take pride as the king of illiterature
I'm very ape and very nice

If you ever need anything please don't
Hesitate to ask someone else first
I'm too busy acting like I'm not naive
I've seen it all, I was here first

Out of the ground
Into the sky
Out of the sky
Into the dirt

If you ever need anything please don't
Hesitate to ask someone else first
I'm too busy acting like I'm not naive
I've seen it all, I was here first

Out of the ground
Into the sky
Out of the sky
Into the dirt


Out of the ground
Into the sky
Out of the sky
Into the dirt

No comments: