Monday, January 08, 2007

Yada Yadas

And it's not even the middle of January yet...

Wouldn't it be nice that your life would be more interesting?

Wouldn't it be nice that people would fall all over the stuff that you're writing? I mean, one can write better than some other folks, but they still get more hits ...

Wouldn't it be nice that girls will fall all over you, but only the ones whom you really like?

Wouldn't it be great to be doing EXACTLY what you want, and get paid handsomely for it?

And this one, for real (as if the others weren't) wouldn't it be great to fit into your old clothes (not the ones from grade school, of course)?

If wishes were trees... well, so sayeth a wizened man, "Out of snow, you can't get cheesecake."

Huh? Sounds eeriely like, "When your shoe fits, the moon is full!"


* * * * *

FRANCES FARMER WILL GET HER REVENGE ON SEATTLE
(K. Cobain, Nirvana)

It's so relieving
To know that you're leaving as soon as you get paid
It's so relaxing
To hear that you're asking wherever you get your way
It's so soothing
To know that you'll sue me, this is starting to sound the same

I miss the comfort in being sad
I miss the comfort in being sad
I miss the comfort in being sad

In her false witness, we hope you're still with us,
To see if they float or drown
Our favorite patient, a display of patience,
Disease-covered Puget Sound
She'll come back as fire, to burn all the liars,
And leave a blanket of ash on the ground

I miss the comfort in being sad
I miss the comfort in being sad
I miss the comfort in being sad

It's so relieving
To know that you're leaving as soon as you get paid
It's so relaxing
To know that you're asking wherever you get your way
It's so soothing
To know that you'll sue me, this is starting to sound the same

I miss the comfort in being sad
I miss the comfort in being sad
I miss the comfort in being sad


* * * * *


My buddy Owen (name withheld upon request, hehe) posted a little something on the late Saddam Hussein. Let's go with the "yeah, yeah, yeahs" on this one... NOT! Sorry, dude, the man is gone, yes, but his death solves nothing. Best emotion for me on this one --- goodbye, cockroach!

Which reminds me of something I read long before. I loved Herman Wouk - still do - and in his foreword to "War and Remembrance" he quotes the French philosopher Julien Benda. I can't quote this word for word (and the book is back home in the Philippines), but Benda says that the end of conflict comes not from despising war but from truly loving peace. When we call forth violence to end violence, we solve little.

Benda, again, “Peace is only possible if men cease to place their happiness in the possession of things 'which cannot be shared,' and if they raise themselves to a point where they adopt an abstract principle superior to their egotisms. In other words, it can only be obtained by a betterment of human morality.”

Victor Henry, in "War and Remembrance": "Either war is finished, or we are."

* * * * *

The last thing to end this post: "Why is it that we don't always recognize the moment when love begins but we always know when it ends?" (Harris Telemacher, as played by Steve Martin, "L.A. Story")

No comments: