Wednesday, December 29, 2004

New Year - Facing Adversity

"Authorities across the region are running out of places to put the dead -- lining them up in schools and stacking them in the street ..."

Watching the images of the aftermath of the Indian ocean tsumani unfold on my TV set doesn't give me a lot of confidence that New Year would be great. On the one hand, I could say, "The quake didn't happen to me." On the other, how could I say it can't affect me at all?

I am all the more thankful that for whatever dire straits I think my life has fallen into, I am still on my feet ready to face another day. I may be down and out, broke, depressed, lonely, or what-have-you, but I have life, and that means something. I have still the chance to do something good that matters in someone else's life.

I don't think I could say there is a just God. Not today. But I'd like to believe there's a reason we can find someplace. There's a reason to be happy, and that is I live and exist to give happiness to others, as much as I can, when I can.

Happy New Year!

"There are two ways of spreading light - to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it." - Edith Wharton

No comments: